08 July 2008

Two goals

Here are a couple of my summer goals:

(1) buy local produce
(2) use whole wheat flour in my cooking/baking

I know, they're not much related and totally random.

Buying local produce comes from my desire to support local farmers. These days, produce bought in the stores is from all over the world, and with the way gas prices are, the cost is being passed onto us in the rise of produce prices. Therefore, where it was once more expensive for a girl on a budget to buy local produce, now it perhaps is not. I am going to do my best to purchase produce at local markets and stands and I'll post when I find something extra delish.

The second goal comes from my desire to increase our family's consumption of whole grains. Up to now we have been mostly a white rice, white flour family. We do eat whole wheat bread, though, which is why I decided that whole wheat flour is a wonderful way to add whole grains to baking. So far I've found that if it changes the flavor of something at all, it is a good change--the whole wheat flour makes cookies, pizza dough, and pancakes taste nuttier and adds great texture.

Here is one of the recipes I've discovered that uses TWO whole grains and my kids love them.

Oatmeal Pancakes

1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup whole wheat flour (you can also do half white, half wheat or any ratio of white to wheat you desire )
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 tsp. lemon juice

Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center. Combine egg, milk, oil, and lemon juice. Pour into well and stir just until moistened.



(You know the rest--cook like regular pancakes).


They're sweet and nutty and a great way to start the morning. Let me know if you like them!

3 comments:

Em said...

a great option is whole wheat pastry flour for cookies and stuff. it's lighter and ellie krieger often uses it instead of straight whole wheat flour. also, have you tried grinding your own? it's way cheaper and you can make it more coarse or lessm if you want. get the kitchenaid attachment. i love mine (actually grandma t's).

Lima Bean said...

yes, i definitely need to get one of those kitchenaid grinders. thanks for the tip about the pastry flour. i saw that in my bulk foods and wasn't sure what the difference was.

Kari said...

Yum! We whipped up your pancake recipe for dinner tonight and loved 'em.