11 December 2008

Just Google it


Awhile back, I was introduced to Google Analytics and have been a bit obsessed ever since. And no, this screen shot of analytics above is not showing the stats of my blog (can you imagine having 16,635 visitors in one month?) I might say I wish for that, but I don't know if I really do. That's a lot of people reading my stuff.

My favorite section of the stats page is the keywords section, where you can see exactly what random blog visitors typed into Google search in order to arrive at a particular website. It is just a riot to see what sort of things bring up a link to limabeanhome.

A few funny examples:
On Oct 10th, someone typed "is it easy to sew a sleeping bean", linked to my blog, and then spent 12 minutes surfing around. I'm wondering what that person found, since I have no idea about sewing sleeping beans.

3 days later, on October 13th the search was "section passed out duck game" (what?) that person spent zero minutes surfing around, so obviously did NOT find what they were looking for.

There are all kinds of lima bean inquiries that bring people to limabeanhome. "the life of a lima bean", "what do lima beans feel like?", "what job does a stem have in a lima bean plant?", "songs and books about planting lima beans" (that one had to be a kindergarten teacher), but as you can see, these people are actually looking for information on real lima beans, of which I offer none.

Recently there was an inquiry for "sewing for young boys". That person spent a record 28 minutes on the blog--(I think they probably just left on the computer and went to the bathroom or something). Bizarre.

It is pretty entertaining to see the number of hits, the top referring sites, and other random information that Analytics provides. And, in Google fashion, of course it's all free. But anytime I want to have a good laugh, I just visit the keywords section to see the strange and hilarious searches performed daily when people "Google it".

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi friend! Yes, I heard, congrats, and sorry that you've been ill! I've been missing you and your boys ever since summer ended!

Chelsea said...

I want to know how to use this good analytics thing. That would be hilarious to know what sort of people end up on your blog. Glad you are back in the blogging world. We missed you. I'm also glad your husband forced you to put up Christmas decorations. Unfortunately, my house is still very bah humbuggy. I pretty much only set up a nativity scene.