23 May 2010

Double birthday week

Last year when Henry was born two days before James's 6th birthday, I knew that, forever more, this week in May would be one long birthday celebration in our house.

We've just been through the first double birthday extravaganza, and we survived. And it was a lot of fun. Since I've never been one to make a huge deal out of the first birthday, Henry's was relatively low key. A piece of carrot cake in the high chair and a few presents from grandma and some aunties.

For James, however, we made a little bigger deal. I'm not a party planner, and have avoided throwing him a friend party for this many years, but this year his begging won me over and we threw together a little something with a few friends.

Since James is my little artist, we made it an art-themed party and had the boys paint on shirts using freezer paper stencils, make their own pizzas, and decorate their own cupcakes. We had originally planned for all the activities to be outside, but the pouring rain changed the plans a bit. Actually, even with six little boys in our small house, they were all very well-behaved and it was fun.

4 comments:

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

The shirts turned out so cute. I'm glad they all had such a fun time making them. Henry is getting so big and I love his sweet smile. Tell Owie to hang in there--his birthday will be just as awesome.

megan said...

Wow!!! You know how to throw a great party! I love your idea with the t-shirts.

Lizzy said...

Those t-shirts are a great idea! I'm going to hang onto that idea for when Ben is a little bigger.

And even with just cake, Henry looks as happy as can be. I can't believe he's already a year old!

Emily said...

Such a fun idea!! I bet he thought that was the coolest thing ever. SO AWESOME!

May is a great month for birthdays!!!